Thursday, April 16, 2009

Orthodontics vs. False Teeth Plates?

I have unattractive teeth ~ the initial problem was a very severe overjet, overcrowding, as well as a small mouth %26amp; receding jaw.





When I was 15 years old I got my braces, unfortunately all 4 wisdom teeth grew in year later and wrecked everything.





The results are not as severe, but still highly noticable to myself and others now I am 33 years old, to the extent that friends say, %26quot;You have such a nice smile, why don%26#039;t you get your teeth fixed up?%26quot;





I am still so self-conscious about my teeth. I have private med for dental now, although on a very small income. I am basically happy with myself overall, except for my teeth and jawline.





Why is orthodontics preferred more so than getting all the teeth out and getting a false teeth plate instead? I know personal comfort would be a big consideration, but are there any other dental factors involved?





What is the approx cost of each of these options in comparision to each other?





Genuine information and advice appreciated.

Orthodontics vs. False Teeth Plates?
If you are 33 and self conscious to the point of considering these 2 options - go to the orthodontist. You shouldn%26#039;t have dentures unless it is absolutely necessary. Reasons why? First, dentures don%26#039;t allow you to enjoy food or eat as well. If you gain or lose weight they won%26#039;t fit well. They almost never look like real teeth and will need to be replaced every so often which will cost you considerably. Many people can%26#039;t tolerate a lower denture since it gets in the way of your tongue, etc,etc,etc. With the orthodontics the cost may or may not be covered by insurance but so many offices have payment plans. I am guessing $4000.00 or less, but honestly I couldn%26#039;t say. An orthodontist may be willing to do a free consultation. Maybe you could cut back somewhere, like a coffee a day at the drive thru habit to pay for them. More and more adults are having orthodontics so you are not alone. I had a patient who was 65 when he had his. You will have to do more from a day to day cleaning routine, but I really feel that if you were my family member I wouldn%26#039;t let you do otherwise. GOOD LUCK


JAMRDH - a dental hygienist
Reply:Although it may seem like more of an expense to get orthodontics, extracting 32 teeth and paying for a full upper and lower denture is probably just as much costly, if not more, than orthodontics. I cannot tell you exact figures, but I%26#039;m guessing you%26#039;ll pay $150-$200 per tooth for an extraction, plus at least $1000 for dentures that don%26#039;t look like your natural teeth. If it were me, I would go for the braces. Tons of people get orthodontics when they are older, plus they will be off in about 2 years or so. Also, false teeth are a prosthetic. So imagine having 2 wooden legs... they still function OK but are never the same as your original legs. Same goes for your teeth. (i hope i didn%26#039;t lose you on that analogy.) Good luck!



Luggage

No comments:

Post a Comment